Slow Startup

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:54 AM
One thing that really bothers me and this is why I have preferred to work with Launchy, and that is the slow loading time of this program. The icon will appear on my Toolbar, but if I right click on it, it ignores me and don't give me the options. I have to wait for about a minute before it responds. What is it doing? It can't be re-reading my files is it? If it does I would recommend that it shouldn't. Rather let the user refresh their index if they want too. Is anybody else experiencing this or is it just me?
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM
What Shuriken does at startup is that indexes the following:  Start Menu, Internet Explorer Favorites, Control Panel and the plugins. As this is done on the UI thread there will be no user input processed before this is finished. 
I was thinking about for a while to do this kind of work on a separate thread so UI will be responsive even at startup. Even caching the items, so the scanning is not needed right at startup. 

I will put this on my implementation list. 
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.